Urinary Iodine

Iodine is essential for life and thyroid function.  The hormones T4 is Tyrosine bound to four moleculse of iodine and T3 is tyrosine bound to three molecules.  The thyroid gland takes up 95% with the other 5% going to the breast and salivary gland.

It is common to have low levels of Iodine.  In America iodine deficiency has increased from 2.6% to 11.7% n the last 20 years.  Conditions that are associated with low iodine levels are hypothyroidism, decreased fertility, fibrocystic breast disease, oestrogen imbalance, fatigue, depression, weight gain.  In pregnancy it is essential that the baby gets enough iodine to prevent cretinism.

A 24 hour iodine load test compares a non-supplemented iodine urine sample with a recently supplemented dose.  The result are extremely helpful and allows the correct dosage of iodine to be supplemented

An iodine loading test practices both a pre loading test, which is a spot urine test (showing baseline iodine) with a test which involves taking 50mg of iodine and collecting the urine for 24hours.  A sample of this collection is compared with the first spot test.

If the patient is iodine deficient, the body retains the iodine and only a small quantity of the mineral is excreted into the urine. If the patient has sufficient iodine levels, the body does not retain the iodine and the majority of the iodine dosage is excreted into the 24 hour urinary sample.  In contrast to the random iodine test, the iodine loading test is able to detect mild and moderate as well as severe deficiencies.



Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt